- 2 cups all purpose flour (+ 1/2 cup for preparation)
- 1/2 a cup warm milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 butternut or 1/4 slice pumpkin (Pre-boiled and mashed)
- 3 tbsp margarine
- 1 egg + 1 tsp water (Whisked)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Mix the sugar, yeast and milk and set aide to proof for about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile,sift the flour with the baking powder and salt then add in the margarine, mixing to form small bread crumb-like particles.
- Next add in the mashed pumpkin/butternut and mix well.
- Now form a well at the middle and add in the yeast, sugar, milk mixture bit by bit while kneading till you get a soft but not sticky dough. (You might need a little more or less flour)
- Now set on a floured surface knead till elastic.
- Now set the dough in a warm place to rise for 40 minutes or until double size.
- When doubled, punch it down knead a little then divide it into golf-sized balls, press them slightly to flatten them then met slits on the top. Around 5-8 slits like an actual pumpkin.
- Arrange them on a baking tray and let them rise again. Should take around 10-20 minutes.
- Now brush with the egg wash, sprinkle with some sugar and bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown on the top.
Serve warm with Masala tea or soup of your choice!!!