- 1/3 cup warm water,
- 1 packet or 2 tsp active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup + 1/4 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 cups milk, warmed
- 1/4 cup salted butter or butter, at room temperature
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- Pour your warm water into a bowl then stir in yeast and 2 tbsp. sugar, whisk until yeast has dissolved then let rest 5 – 10 minutes until mixture is foamy.
- Pour yeast mixture (scrapping out excess) into a bigger bowl. Add in remaining sugar, warm milk, butter/margarine, egg and salt. Mix the ingredients until combined.
- Add in 2 cups flour and mix until well combined. Slowly add remaining 2 cups flour and mix until dough is smooth and elastic, about 4 – 5 minutes (dough should be slightly sticky when touched).
- Transfer dough to a greased bowl and cover bowl with plastic wrap. Allow dough to rise in a warm place until double in size, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down on a floured surface and divide dough into two equal portions.
- Shape each portion into a ball. Roll each dough ball out on a lightly floured surface into a large circle about 13 inches across (try to keep dough as much of an even thickness as possible).
- Spread each circle of dough evenly with 2 Tbsp butter/Margarine. Cut each circle into 8 equal wedges like a pizza.
- Roll the wedges starting from the wide side heading to the tip. Use some pressure so that the edges are sealed. Meanwhile pre-heat your oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Arrange the rolled wedges on a greased baking tray the tray should not be over crowded. (Should have around 6 rolls)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 15 minutes or till well browned.
Enjoy with some soup or tea.