- 1 1/2 Cups boiling water
- 2 cups maize flour
- 1 tspn black pepper
- salt to taste
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- Cooking oil for deep frying
- With your boiling water, add the black pepper, salt and around 2 tbsp of cooking oil stir a little then start adding your flour little by little.
- Keep stirring as you add you flour to avoid having it form lumps. After several additions you will have your Ugali in porridge form. Let it simmer a little before adding more flour.
- After around 3 minutes add more flour until you form a thick mould don’t make it too hard or too runny. Keep turning it around to make sure it’s cooked on all sides.
- Lower the heat and cover to allow it to cook evenly in the inside without burning it.
- When it’s ready, remove from fire and set it aside uncovered to allow it cool.
- Meanwhile whisk the egg and milk with a pinch of salt. Mix everything up till frothy.
- Now form you ugali into mini sausage shaped pieces. Roll the pieces in the egg mixture the into the breadcrumbs.
- Do the same to all the other ugali-“sausages” before you can begin deep frying.
- When ready drop the croquettes in hot oil and deep fry for around three minute or until the turn to the desired brownness.
- Remove from oil and place them on paper towels.
- Serve warm with Beef, Pork, Spinach or any vegetable of your choice.