For the dough:
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp active dry yeast
- 2 tbsp oil
For the filling:
- Ksh. 200 minced meat
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cabbage
- 2 carrots
- 1tsp Black pepper
- 1tsp Curry powder
- Salt to taste
For the egg wash:
Beat two eggs with a tbsp of water till frothy.
- Start with the filling as it takes some time.
- Fry chopped garlic cloves in some oil till fragrant.
- Next add the minced meat and fry try it starts to brown.
- Add your roughly chopped cabbage and enough water to cover everything in the pot. Cover and let it cook for 30 minutes.
- Open the pot and add all your spices. Mix everything well and then add the carrots.
- Let the stew to reduce completely.
- As that reduces, start preparing your dough.
- Mix sugar, yeast and warm water in a bowl and set it aside to proof. (5 minutes )
- In a different sufuria, add the flour and mix with turmeric powder.
- Make a well at the Centre and pour in the yeast mixture kneading everything together.
- Knead well till you get a soft but not sticky dough. You can add the oil to soften the dough.
- Set aside and let it rise for 45 minutes. Meanwhile get you minced meat after it has reduced and let it cool.
- Roll out the dough into a 1/2 inch thick rectangle and cut it into smaller rectangles of about 8″ by 6″.
- Fill one half of the rectangle with the minced meat mixture then fold over the other side to cover the meat.
- Seal the edges with a fork.
- Repeat with all the remaining dough.
- Preheat your oven to 200 degrees Celsius and bake your meat buns for 20 minutes.
- Open your oven and brush the top of the buns with egg wash for browning and a shiny finish.
- Bake for further 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with tea or soup.